Monday 14 February 2022

152 League Grounds and counting - do I hold the all time record?

 On Saturday 12 February 2022 I was with my son at Sunderland's match at Wimbledon away. The Dons have a new ground that opened in the 2020-21 season but, of course, COVID blocked off any chance of seeing Sunderland play there until this season.

The game itself was a typical third tier football match with the referee, in particular, bloody awful. 

My visit meant this was the 152th ground where I have watched a Football or Premier League game and I think that might just be a record.

I still though have 4 grounds to do - Brentford's that opened last season, Spurs new ground plus Sutton United, new boys in the fourth tier this season, and Forest Green. (which I have previously visited for a friendly match against Sunderland) 

I was minded to visit Sutton and Forest Green in December 2021 and January 2022 but such is Sunderland's position in the third tier that I decided not to do so with both Sutton United and Forest Green looking like they may gain promotion then the Lads may well (sadly) play them in 2022/23.


          A highly dubious penalty helped Wimbledon take the lead in a game that ended 1-1. 

                           Sunderland sold out the away end with 1,200 away fan in attendance 



No comments:

Post a Comment