Friday, 5 April 2013

Sunderland move towards fifth League title on this day 100 years ago

5th April 1913                                                                             League Division One

               SUNDERLAND   3                          WEST BROMWICH ALBION   1
    (Mordue Pen.25, Buchan 27, Tinsley 90)                      (Gregory 76)                     
Referee: Mr. FH Dennis of Middlesbrough                                            Attendance 18,000

Sunderland: Butler, Gladwin, Ness, Cuggy, Low, Cringan, Mordue, Buchan, Richardson Tinsley, Martin
West Bromwich Albion: Moorwood, Smith, Cook, Waterhouse, Buck, McNeal, Jephcott, Gregory, Pailor, Bowser, Shearman

The victory that Sunderland gained over West Bromwich at Roker Park was well deserved though the margin of victory flattered them. Sunderland were without Thomson, Holley and Milton while Cook replaced Jessie Pennington (pictured left) for Albion. The weather was gloriously fine although a cold crosswind was blowing. This however did not affect the play that was watched by a crowd of about 18,000, which was more or less expected in view of Sunderland's popularity at the moment.

The game started quietly and it was some time before either team got into their stride. West Brom made the first attack but Sunderland were not long on replying. Cringan sent in a promising shot that swerved away as it neared goal while Richardson worked his way close in and would have scored had the ball not deflected off a defender. Sunderland were finding it difficult to get past Cook who was playing an exceptionally fine game and who checked the right wing repeatedly.

It was however largely due to Cook that Sunderland scored their 1st goal after 25 minutes. Buchan was running with the ball when Cook tripped him and conceded a penalty kick. Mordue took it and sent a rising shot into the net well out of Moorwood's reach. Hardly had the excitement subsided when 2 minutes later the home team scored another goal. This came after a smart piece of work by Martin had ran up the left wing and centred. The ball dropped just in front of goal and Buchan rushed in and headed into the net.

With a 2 goal lead Sunderland slackened off and they were forced onto the defensive for a time. Albion’s left wing was especially active and several shots came in with Bowyer shooting just over. Close to halftime Tinsley had a good chance from a centre by Cuggy but missed. West Bromwich were anything but a beaten team when the 2nd half started. Sunderland had stuck with a close passing game whereas Albion opened their play out and progressed with long sweeping passes. 

They were full of enterprise and made strenuous efforts to open their account. For some time Butler had only a Grayson shot to save though one from McNeil whizzed just over the bar. Richardson came close to scoring in the next Sunderland attack and got within 3 yards of goal before Moorwood dashed out and got the ball away. For a long spell after this West Bromwich did the bulk of the attacking but the home defence remained steady and cleared all the danger. Sunderland made attempts to relieve the pressure but could make little progress.

Albion were rewarded for their efforts 14 minutes from the end. They were attacking constantly when Shearman drove in a centre and Gregory raced forward to get clear and beat Butler. Encouraged by this success Albion played harder than ever and Sunderland had their work cut out to hold them. Butler made a great save from Bowser and Shearman shot wide after a scrimmage. Then Sunderland attacked with vigour and their efforts were fruitless until the last minute of the game. Whitehouse and Cook miskicked and Tinsley stepped in to secure the ball and score.

Sunderland were the better team and when they chose to exert themselves they made their superiority very clear. They were however inclined to take matters easy and after securing a 2 goal lead eased up. It was not until Albion scored and a draw seemed possible that they again got down to some serious work. The home defence was excellent. The halfbacks played a good game with Cuggy working hard. The right wing showed some of its usual brilliance but found Cook a big stumbling block and Richardson and Martin both did well.

West Bromwich gave a commendable performance though they were not brilliant. Shearman and Bowser were the better wing though Jephcott was often dangerous. Cook did much good work but marred his display by being responsible to some extent for 2 of Sunderlands goals. 

Home International Championship Match

England 1 v 0 Scotland
Stamford Bridge, London
5 April 1913

The 1913 British Home International championships was one of the most evenly contested on record. England topped the table at the end of the series of matches, courtesy of their 1 goal victory over Scotland but had succumbed to defeat earlier in the championship to Ireland. 

As far as Sunderland fans were concerned there were two of the clubs players on view, England’s George Holley and for Scotland Charlie Thomson. 

According to reports each teams half back stole the show; “two finer spoilers than the rival centre halves, Charles Thomson of Scotland and McCall of Preston North End, can scarcely ever have appeared in the same match”, said The Daily Mail. “Thomson to my mind was the best player on the field. He was always anticipating a movement and getting to the spot where it was to develop in time to stop it”. 

Thomson had taken over from Alex Raisbeck, the Liverpool centre half, in the Scotland team in 1909 but it was generally recognised that the Scots best player was Bobby Walker, a giant amongst Scottish footballers. The latter won his 28th cap for Scotland in this match so creating a British record. 

Bob Crompton was perhaps England’s finest player and as Captain he was well respected, winning his 25th cap in this game. 

England’s victory was far from convincing with the only goal of the game scored by Aston Villa’s Harry Hampton, “the Wellington Whirlwind” as he was known, who charged the goalkeeper over the line following a centre from Simpson. 

For once George Holley, Sunderland’s ace marksman, had a quiet game.

There was a late scare for England when Burnley’s Watson was injured and had to leave the field of play with 15 minutes of the match remaining reducing the home side to 10 men. 

England: Hardy (Aston Villa), Crompton (Blackburn Rovers), Pennington (West Bromwich Albion), Brittleton (Sheffield Wednesday), McCall (Preston North End), Watson (Burnley), Simpson (Blackburn Rovers), Fleming (Swindon Town), Hampton (Aston Villa), Holley (Sunderland), Hodkinson (Blackburn Rovers)

Scotland: Brownlie (Third Lanark), McNair (Glasgow Celtic), Walker J (Swindon Town), Gordon (Glasgow Rangers), Thomson (Sunderland), Wilson D (Oldham Athletic), Donnachie (Oldham Athletic), Walker (Heart of Midlothian), Reid (Glasgow Rangers), Wilson A (Sheffield Wednesday), Robertson (Sheffield Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment