Tuesday 25 October 2022

Quorn Unite members on strike at Billingham - a visit to the picket line on 24 October

I spent around 4 and a half hours on the UNITE Quorn workers picket line on Monday 24 October and I enjoyed chatting to the strikers and engaging in political discussions. I distributed a number of UNITE education booklets, mainly the Stanley Taggart - Battle of Stockton 1933 and the 1926 General Strike and Miners' Lockout in NEYH ones. It was pleasing to witness the handing over of a £250 cheque from a Unite branch. The morale amongst workers was high and I'd like to think that I added to it by passing on info, making a short speech and being able to pass on some of my experiences, especially to the majority of workers who are on strike for the first time ever. 5-6 workers asked me to send follow info and 2 former reps have come forward to be interviewed for the Unite oral history projetc.

 Around 60 are on strike and there is a round the clock picket line starting at 5.30am. Chris Robson was the organising steward on the gate when I was there and can be contacted on 07812 846811. 

It is coming on almost 50 years since I first went on a picket line in Teesside with my dad, who was on strike. 

There is power in a picket line! 












No comments:

Post a Comment